Name
Password
Login
or Register
ALERTS CLOSE
Click to go to your inbox
About Hub Reviews Previews Tests Challenges Leagues Library Arc TV Forum

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Hosts.  (Read 13030 times)

Who is your Fav male?
Who is your Fav femail?

Tommy Tallarico

Definetly Tommy

Scott is pretty funny on RotR tho

obvsly jade raymond

Tommy and Vic were great together.

Jose is just plain hilarious, he really knows what kind of audience we are.

Jose is just plain hilarious, he really knows what kind of audience we are.

Jose is pretty awesome. His reviews are honest and he tells it like it is.

Steve and Raju only seem capable of ratings between 6.5 and 8.5. The return of that team disappoints me. And Silverman seems cool but whines too much for my taste. Rest of the crew is the best on T.V.

For legacy members of the cast, Tommy is high up there. He always had a knack for drilling into games bluntly, honestly, and even on the most drudging, argumentative, bottom of the barrel scoring reviews, more often than not backed up his stances to let everyone else know WHY, offering perspective to the viewer. Hell, his Chibi Robo ROTR review was filled his him being driven nuts by the musical footsteps. Lots of people would find that charming, but he opened up the point that it's goddamned annoying as hell, like Chinese water drop torture. Is it the popular opinion? Maybe not, but dammit there's a LOT more out there than the "common" opinion, and he brought them hard.

Jose is great for current hosts. Always upbeat and straight shooting about how he feels, and definitely clicks with the audience.

Most important is that everyone is themselves and not afraid to share their thoughts on anything. Makes for great dynamics like that between Scott and Vic.

Team Lustrous and not just because their hair is so pretty. I like hearing about games I normally wouldn't take a second look at.

Team Lustrous and not just because their hair is so pretty. I like hearing about games I normally wouldn't take a second look at.

That's a great point too. There are SO many unknown games out there with little to no fanfare. For every Titanfall, there's hundreds of small publisher or indie releases seemingly lost to history. A few of those are either the right scratch for a genre itch, or bring innovation that larger games will duplicate later.

More recently, Marissa and Shaun reviewed "Final Exam", which COMPLETELY flew under the radar for me and looked like a fantastic way to spend a couple hours in a genre I enjoy. Being introduced to finds like that is awesome.

I enjoy Ben Silverman the most, followed by Scott. So happy to see Ben back by the way.

The two have an honest approach towards criticism that while not always user friendly (they don't tell you what you want to hear), they provide cerebral accounts of what they like and don't like about the game. 

My problem with Shaun is that I don't feel any depth to his reviews. He lists what he likes and what he doesn't like, but he fails to go deep on the 'Why', the most necessary element in game criticism.

To start I think all of the hosts do an excellent job and make the difficult task of distilling their opinion into 3 shared minutes look natural and effortless.  To that end Vic remains my favorite host.  While Scott, Ben and Jose can always provide the laughs and are entertainers as much as reviewers I've come to appreciate Vic's optimism towards each game or movie and his thoughtful analysis that includes much more than graphics and game play.

The one I certainly noted in the top 100 list when they showed the old footage from the Vic and Tommy days is that all of the reviewers bring a more in depth and mature approach to the reviews then the format from 10 years ago, even if said review takes place in a pumpkin patch or the reviewer is wearing a hilarious costume.

I enjoy Ben Silverman the most, followed by Scott. So happy to see Ben back by the way.

The two have an honest approach towards criticism that while not always user friendly (they don't tell you what you want to hear), they provide cerebral accounts of what they like and don't like about the game.

My problem with Shaun is that I don't feel any depth to his reviews. He lists what he likes and what he doesn't like, but he fails to go deep on the 'Why', the most necessary element in game criticism.
You don't find that Ben's passion, which I can respect, occasionally causes him to try and force his opinion on Jose? I'll admit he is thorough and goes into great depth but sometimes it's at the expense of Jose's Opinion. Fub's reflects that type of gamer who doesn't forget the privilege it is to play these games and, again on occasion, Ben's vigor prevents Jose from expanding on his thoughts. Though they might be simpler, they are still valid as he represents the fan boy type. To compare, Scott often disagrees with Vic. Only he shows respect enough to allow Vic to show his love for entertainment, and on his own time, often with a simple "you're wrong" or "that's score is way too high", he gets his point across.

I'm overthinking this! I always enjoy the show anyway.

I MISS MIRI! That beautiful girl deserves a shout out. And would work great with Shaun, but I wouldn't trade sunny California for Toronto if I was her.

Tommy definitely told it how it was and I appreciated his candor (his best review was High Heat Baseball 2003  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvCGfbiO3M). I love Vic and how his passion pours out of him. Jose is the funniest and most fun (to me he represents the every-man gamer). 

The best thing I love about the hosts, and what makes the show amazing, is that they don't seem that they are trying to be someone they are not; they are just being themselves. It's feels honest and genuine. 

-Nathaniel

Tommy Tallarico is a legend. 

However Jose has been hitting it big. 
Hey Jose! Where you from or whats your nationality? Are you latino or portuguese?

But back to the favourites, Victor also since he has been the original of this crew. 
Always optimistic of anything Nintendo.

I have an immense amount of respect for Victor Lucas. I've been watching his show since I was 10. I thought it was the coolest thing ever that someone had made a show that focused around video games, and I'm pretty sure it was the only game related show I had seen on TV since Video and Arcade Top 10.

So I'd definitely say he's my favorite.

I remember I judged Scott Jones pretty hard when he came onto the show but the more I watched the more he grew on me and I find I share A LOT of the same opinions as he does on games.

You don't find that Ben's passion, which I can respect, occasionally causes him to try and force his opinion on Jose? I'll admit he is thorough and goes into great depth but sometimes it's at the expense of Jose's Opinion. Fub's reflects that type of gamer who doesn't forget the privilege it is to play these games and, again on occasion, Ben's vigor prevents Jose from expanding on his thoughts. Though they might be simpler, they are still valid as he represents the fan boy type. To compare, Scott often disagrees with Vic. Only he shows respect enough to allow Vic to show his love for entertainment, and on his own time, often with a simple "you're wrong" or "that's score is way too high", he gets his point across.

I'm overthinking this! I always enjoy the show anyway.

I MISS MIRI! That beautiful girl deserves a shout out. And would work great with Shaun, but I wouldn't trade sunny California for Toronto if I was her.

I have mad respect for Jose as a longtime viewer, but from a criticism standpoint, he just doesn't hold a candle to Ben. I get that he represents a different kind of gamer than Ben... I guess Silverman is just more my style. I prefer more cerebral critiques over simpler recantings of experiences. "This happened and then this happened and then this happened, and it was awesome..." I need more than that. 

As for Vic and Scott. Once again, I have mad respect for both but I am happy that Scott is finally telling Vic to stop interrupting. Vic's a passionate guy and sometimes that passion gets in the way of a good conversation.  That said, what I like the most about their reviews together is that it is more conversational, like Siskel and Ebert... Loved that homage at the beginning of last week's rocket and rayguns by the way!

And oh man do I miss Miri! Her reviews with Cannata were amazing. They both clearly loved film as a medium and were never short on great points. I feel like the show needs to return to having specialized reviewers for film and keep Vic and Scott on the games front.

I was fortunate to meet all of the hosts (including Miri and Ben) at FanExpo in Toronto a couple of years ago, and I can honestly say that they are awesome people. They look you in the eye and listen to what you have to say. Vic is unbelievably good at making it about you and not him, and he genuinely cares about both games and gamers.

As for favourites, well, I love Scott's sense of humour and his review style. I know when he gives a game a 10, I will love that game. I tend to be more like Vic in my own approach, as I am a bit more enthusiastic than Scott is, but that is why they are such a great team. I think that they play off of each other's strengths perfectly. If you don't already listen to Vic's Basement, you probably should.

In fact, I am going to be wishy-washy here and say that I think all of the hosting duos are great, mainly because they all play off of each other so well.

In fact, I am going to be wishy-washy here and say that I think all of the hosting duos are great, mainly because they all play off of each other so well.

The duo format is fantastic and plays to everyone's strengths. Personality contrasts help sell everyone's best side, or at least call better attention to their qualities.

My two cents:

Been watching EP for about 10 years now and Tommy is probably my favourite. He's incredibly entertaining and brings up very legitimate arguments when reviewing games. Such a pleasure to watch. He left a void in EP when he left and I feel that it will never be filled (no disrespect to other reviewers, of course.) 
I always enjoy Vic's reviews because of his optimism towards games and the industry in general, but I sometimes feel his affinity for all things Batman prevent him from really giving Batman/superhero-related media a fair review. I cringe at the automatic 10's but I understand that's what makes him Victor and the show very much includes each reviewers' personalities when critiquing games. The same can be applied to Scott and his very specific, sometimes-misconstrued-as-pessimism, video game preferences. Scott screams "casual gamer" to me, which almost automatically means he will score anything he's not remotely interested in badly/unfairly. 

Miri and Jeff were a great movie-reviewing duo. Each are well-versed in film and film history. Both give very thorough reviews. Miss them both. Only downside: they rarely disagreed on anything. I'd like a little more point-counterpoint debate on reviews (ala Vic and Tommy or Vic and Scott). Ben Bolea is with Miri and Jeff in terms of film critiquing. Really liked him during his short tenure here. Having these three back reviewing films together would blow my mind.

Jose and Ben are an amazing duo. They very much scream two friends who just love to talk/argue about video games. Their reviews are always fun, their banter entertaining. Ben is a thorough, deep reviewer and Jose has come a long way and has really developed his own solid reviewing style. Always enjoyed their reviews. 

Steve and Raju I've met more than once, and are very nice people, but their reviews are lacklustre in my opinion. They give very "safe" reviews, frequently swimming in the 7-7.5 range. When it comes to Sean, "superficial" is the perfect way to describe his reviews, as already mentioned by someone else in this thread. Marissa is relatively inexperienced but she is getting there, slowly developing her own unique reviewing style, and fine-tuning her preferences. 

I'm all for this "re-branding" of EP/ROTR. The shows have been in limbo these past couple of years. Here's to great things in 2014 and beyond!

My two cents:

Miri and Jeff were a great movie-reviewing duo. Each are well-versed in film and film history. Both give very thorough reviews. Miss them both. Only downside: they rarely disagreed on anything. I'd like a little more point-counterpoint debate on reviews (ala Vic and Tommy or Vic and Scott). Ben Bolea is with Miri and Jeff in terms of film critiquing. Really liked him during his short tenure here. Having these three back reviewing films together would blow my mind.

They may have agreed a lot, but it never hurt the review. Sometimes a good conversation is better than a point by point breakdown and their chemistry was top notch.

I know they have been gone for awhile, but what happend to Ben, Miri, and Briana? I understand as much of an awesome show EP and ROTR are, they also are businesses and people have to part ways from time to time, but with no explanation from Vic? I really enjoyed those hosts for years and had the privilege to meet them in person a few times. Just wish a statement was said or published so that the people who have followed the show for years aren't in question of the direction of the shows, but understand the reasoning behind the lose of prominent hosts. Thanks for your time and if anyone has clear information on this topic I wouldn't mind some clarity instead of rumors.

Fave male? My home boy Shaun "Epic Hair" Hatton.

As for fave. female host? i'm going with the lovely and good friend Marissa Roberto :)

Fave male? My home boy Shaun "Epic Hair" Hatton.

As for fave. female host? i'm going with the lovely and good friend Marissa Roberto :)

Co-signed!

Scott isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is.  His innuendo is inappropriate and we are sick of his comments about his Ex-wife.  Victor and Sean are my favourite, with Sean having such a great passion for games and Victor just being a cool, great all around guy.  HOWEVER, Victor goes way too easy on a lot of reviews and gives ratings higher than deserved I feel.  Marissa is energetic and lively.  Jose is kinda cool.  The bald guy and Raju or whoever are both sweet and I like the perspective from Raju being a bit older than the other hosts, having seen more of the full progression of video games from the beginning.

Bottom line - FIRE SCOTT - instate Marissa in his place.  Thank you

Jeez Shawman, serious hate for Scott going on here... I'm on the opposite end of this with you as I really enjoy Vic and Scott as a pair. I think they play off each others strengths when it comes to reviewing and maybe I'm just lame but I always laugh about the ex-wife jokes. I find some of the side hosts lacking tbh, Steve and Raju are alright but sometimes I find myself tuning them out, like the don't have too much personality to go with their reviews. Jose is for sure a keeper though, his dark souls 2 review had me busting a gut.

Scott isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is. His innuendo is inappropriate and we are sick of his comments about his Ex-wife. Victor and Sean are my favourite, with Sean having such a great passion for games and Victor just being a cool, great all around guy. HOWEVER, Victor goes way too easy on a lot of reviews and gives ratings higher than deserved I feel. Marissa is energetic and lively. Jose is kinda cool. The bald guy and Raju or whoever are both sweet and I like the perspective from Raju being a bit older than the other hosts, having seen more of the full progression of video games from the beginning.

Bottom line - FIRE SCOTT - instate Marissa in his place. Thank you

I don't think I could disagree more. Scott is a huge breath of fresh air and a perfect counterbalance to Victor. Plus, I find him hilarious at times, especially when he can really let loose on Vic's Basement. Sure, some of his jokes are a bit off-colour, but I'm an adult and I'm totally fine with that. I think I've quoted his "supermodels" line weekly since I heard that episode.

Overall, listening to Scott's reviews and his opinions on Vic's Basement, I find him articulate, funny and incredibly down-to-earth. I think it would be a grave misstep to fire Scott.

Male, for sure Victor. Been watching since the beginning and he is the same. That says a lot about his passion for this entertainment medium. Jose is a close second. He is so genuine in his love for video games. 

Female, Miri. As I understand it she is now gone which is too bad. I am not a fan of Marrisa at all. She makes me cringe with all of her work as main co-host with Victor. This is too bad as she is the only remaining female, and to my taste I do not like her.

New females needed victor!

Scott isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is. His innuendo is inappropriate and we are sick of his comments about his Ex-wife. Victor and Sean are my favourite, with Sean having such a great passion for games and Victor just being a cool, great all around guy. HOWEVER, Victor goes way too easy on a lot of reviews and gives ratings higher than deserved I feel. Marissa is energetic and lively. Jose is kinda cool. The bald guy and Raju or whoever are both sweet and I like the perspective from Raju being a bit older than the other hosts, having seen more of the full progression of video games from the beginning.

Bottom line - FIRE SCOTT - instate Marissa in his place. Thank you

Fully agree with you!! Scott is not the best co host. He maybe better as a segment host but not a main host as his comments are both getting old and offensive.

I respect Vic immensely as a person, and because of this he is my favourite host.

Scott's point of view on games is crucial, and his cynical perspective helps to temper Vic's energy at times. It needs to be a requirement to juxtapose Vic with this type of honest personality. I love Marissa, but she does not provide this within the current tandem.
Also, not to beat on Marissa, but she should not be doing Vic's Basement alongside Vic. I understand that there is a lack of options at the moment, but Marissa has not been in the business long enough to discuss these topics toe-to-toe with Vic. You can see her repertoire growing, but there is a ways to go before she can even scrape the knowledge of any other host employed Greedy. She tends to use the phrase "I know" a little too much given her time in the business. I do value her opinion, but Vic's Basement is not the showcase it shines in.

And sorry to burst the common bubble here, but I actually could NOT stand Tommy... I enjoyed his honesty, like Scott's, but his sticking points are not what a video game should be so heavily judged on. The first two features of a game he would immediately complain about were the graphics and the audio score. Any true gamer knows these features fall well behind the importance of gameplay, and should only be small factors within an overall score unless they compromise said feature.

Overall I actually love every current host. I think the scoring system could be a little more refined, but I understand it can be hard to do so when one of the things that make this show so unique are the off-the-cuff opinions.

Keep up the good work!

Having read the posts I am inclined to reply:

It would probably be kind of insulting to say that Vic is not the 'best' (so to speak) and he's definitely awesome but I have to say that like some of the other posters I was kind of not crazy about Scott when he first started but man he really elevates the show to a whole new level and definitely deserves some recognition for that.

Really everyone else is awesome including Victor Lucas but he knows what I'm talking about - Scott has got the gold, man, the gold.

So some people said Scott should leave and Marissa should take over....

I cannot even begin to see that working.

Scott, yes is cynical, but he knows what he's talking about and he can critique games because he has experience with games similar to whatever he's looking at. Of course it's bias a lot, but no one complains about Victor's love of Batman and 10/10'ing stuff like Arkham Origins (which in my opinion is the weakest game due to gets less atmospheric world, more boring side content, boring world, and cheap combat with those electric glove things). But the reviews by Scott I definitely ignore are the ones for games with multiplayer like CoD, as he doesn't really play much of anything online.

Marissa needs more experience, I cannot even begin to comprehend the reasons why she hates on some of the things she does. She just isn't accustomed to those games and doesn't consider why people would find appeal to them. I can't imagine her playing something like Final Fantasy, that JRPG-style farming, grinding, no hand-holding gameplay appeals to MILLIONS of people (actually I think she mentioned once she doesn't like them). Jose got over his hate of Dark Souls recently, because he kept at it, trying to wrap his head around that stuff. Marissa needs to do the same.

All the reviewers on the show each have these quirks, and all have bias towards a certain type of game that fits their tastes. Victor loves Batman games, Scott likes intense, emotional, story-driven games, Ben likes to be challenged in games, etc. Marissa has her specifics too, but the way she can't justify the low scores she gives most games other than the fact she just can't stand this or that isn't good for a reviewer. She is capable of making good reviews and I've seen her review games well, it just needs to be more consistent.

Well Victor is like one of my heroes so I have to say him. I also think Scott is fantastically sardonic. I almost had chills seeing Vic and Tommy re-unite at Comic-con though. That brought me back to the year 2000 or so when E.P. was on at 7 a.m. Sunday morning in my city, (that was painful, lol).

As for females.....hmmmm....always though Miri seemed pretty cool.

I think scott and vic is my favorite my less favorite is marrisa and Shaun  marrisa  is now working with vic almost all the games they review is her type of game
why are they have so much reviews of mobile games and when she is losing in a game she just hate the game because it hard plus if there is a movie or game with nudity she hates it for that it seems she likes to control what to review and I don't like that and Shaun is boring and like a huge amount of crap if they are reviewing a cool game he will want to review something that is crap  i love vic and Scott scott have a good sense of humor I have a great amount of respect to vic and Scott vic is really a nice person and you can really have a good time watching his review best team is vic and Scott

SCOTTCJONES (ontwitter)