Author Topic: A thing you like and a thing you hate about gaming websites.  (Read 2262 times)

FyreWulff

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
Survey time!

Please name a thing any website has done that you really liked. It still counts if you generally don't like a site but they did a lone thing you liked.

Please also name a thing a site did that you DIDN'T like, and this includes sites that you usually like.

This can be anything like an article failing to hit a point, an article that really hit an angle you didn't expect them too, longform articles you really liked, or ones that you didn't like (poor editing, hit piece, etc etc)

Manfire7

• A grade - Good
I really don't like when websites randomly go without any updates for months at a time with no explanation given.

Worf

• A grade - Good
I don't like it when websites feature special front and center content (e.g., reviews) that come in bursts. E.g., some produce a couple of reviews a week, but then they pile 3-4 of them in one day rather than spacing them out. If you're going to take your time and do a detailed review, then don't bury it under a bunch of other special content (especially if you're not producing more than one every couple of days) - spread them out and let each one have its own time.

I also hate it when sites feature special event days and don't follow through. E.g., they may review a mobile game every Monday, and they do it for a couple of Mondays, then it stops coming. This is especially annoying if they show how big their backlog is - if you have a backlog, there's no reason to skip a feature day (or two, or three). Sure, skip it if you don't have something, but when you're touting some backlog with some stuff people want, don't fail to do the content.

Also, websites that rely on poorly produced videos, or use videos as a lazy way to avoid writing, because inevitably, the video gets poorly produced, edited, or even unfocused. Videos take a lot of prepwork to do, and writing up an article is easier than creating a properly done up video. Also, 20 minute videos suck without a text writeup.

tele_viper

• A grade - Good
I really don't like when websites randomly go without any updates for months at a time with no explanation given.
Definitely.

Also, 'clickbait' headlines.

Reaper

• A grade - Good
Really enjoy it when perks are given out for something as minor as just participating, regardless of how deep an individuals involvement to that site may or may not be. That way you don't have to feel like you have to contribute something all the time or have that site stuck as your home page. Perks don't always have to have some kind of value. Coupons or an unlock code or dlc for games that were only available on preorder or something like that were great. Sometimes you just miss that preorder.

On the flip side, what really gets my goat is lack of follow through on said perks. Empty promises and general lack or non existent communication. Of course it could just be that the site is glitchy or and that mail through the site never gets through.

hint, hint :)

Have to expect something screwy to happen when it's a physical prize. Codes always seem to get sent out via email without a hitch but having something in your hands is always better.

Mikako

A thing you like and a thing you hate about gaming webs
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 05:52 AM »
Dont you guys wish that some Alien race start showing themselves so we can all stop the hate?