Author Topic: Arcademy is ceasing operations - Open Q&A  (Read 16589 times)

larryd85

• A grade - Good
Re: Arcademy is ceasing operations - Open Q&A
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 01:48 PM »
im not sure i had any questions. but i did want to just say that when G-List was active and alive it was so satisfying completing challenges in games i had no thought of playing. it gave me a reason to try new games. and i played a bunch of games i likely wouldnt have played. 

i have met some good friends from this site. 
im hoping the new site is something similar to completing challenges. or even just video game related.

Thank you to all the Misters for everything. 

how and where are we all able to keep in touch? will the ARC irc room still be active?
how long with arcademy.net be active?

Kovaelin

• A grade - Good
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 02:06 PM »
I also just wanted to express my thanks for everything over the years. I didn't expect to ever become part of a community like this. I'll definitely be keeping in touch with all of you in chat.

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 05:08 PM »
1. After all the legal drama and the community asking for question, why go silence? The IRC chat was the only method receiving any news.

2. There were murmurs of a show/podcast being made from the Misters (J and FyreWulff)? is that going to be a bigger part of the new project?

3. Will there be a new IRC?

4. Why Scott Hall? I really like Scott Hall

1. Old World had been closed and was to have no more interference. IRC was an unofficial channel for Old World and allowed some personal communication without putting blood drops in the water for people to speculate on or blow out of proportion. Mostly precautionary.

2. F and I have been involved in numerous podcasts before and wanted to establish a new one that was heavily community based and connected with the GL iteration. That still made sense to eventually incorporate into Arc. With the new project, it doesn't make sense from the outset but has room to evolve naturally later, once established. Don't count it out.

3. Not for a while. Like the podcast, that'd evolve naturally from an established project. Doesn't make sense to jump the gun until it's sensible or necessary.

4. “Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don’t last, but bad guys do.”

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 05:09 PM »
I also just wanted to express my thanks for everything over the years. I didn't expect to ever become part of a community like this. I'll definitely be keeping in touch with all of you in chat.

Thanks, Kov! Glad all of you were able to have a great time. Hopefully that'll continue in the future! :)

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 05:16 PM »
Thank you to all the Misters for everything.

Thank YOU for being along for the ride!

how and where are we all able to keep in touch? will the ARC irc room still be active?
how long with arcademy.net be active?

Arcademy.net will be online for quite a while yet, at least until there's a concrete landing pad for transition and people are given the heads up. Until then, this place should be up but not given content updates past forum posts (not much change as of late!).

Arc's IRC room is an easy place to keep in touch, as will this place until any concrete shifts are settled. Eventually I'll likely have a Twitter for updates as well that'll direct to any new community hubs, but the IRC and site for the time being are solid options.

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 07:20 PM »
So what was the grand vision for tsilon at the time? We saw the cryptic videos and images, the really, really hard entry quiz (what was up with that?), etc?

What was the inspiration behind that?

As Fyre said earlier, the grand vision varied by contributor. Everyone came into the project with a different goal and different sources of inspiration for all ends. For instance, the original testing area with quizzes was stylistically inspired by Assassin's Creed's Animus, while much of the key sites and ARG elements took inspiration from Subject 16 and other AC lore cracking. The keys were straight up Doom era classic FPS colour cards. The individual key sites were partially inspired by Majestic, I love bees and other ARG experiences, especially when Skype calls and phone numbers were involved. The CVA interruptions borrowed from Shodan and Mega Man X (personal inspiration, refer to the game's end of credits). The FPS rail micro-game on Orajin was a mix of CoD and Mirror's Edge, and the Grenaid text based adventure was based on classic choose your own adventure stories. Lots of GL's elements were based on little things that we'd appreciated in games. There was inspiration everywhere, especially in the beginning.

My personal goals for the project stemmed from some ambitions I had for games communities and personal beliefs/preferences when it comes to games and their players, alongside all the ARG and character elements that were plain fun.

First off (relative to generation 6 and 7), I've held the belief that $60/full price is completely reasonable for fully featured games including single player campaigns, robust multiplayer experiences, extras and large scale production, the Halo Reaches, GTAVs and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhoods of the world. At the same time, focused experiences, multiplayer only, single player only, shorter campaigns or alternative disc based games become less valued in that price range, avoided in favour of complete Call of Duty product packages. $40 always felt like the right price for alternative "AA"/"B" games (relative to $60) where people are able to chance experiences they'd never attempt otherwise and view a wider horizon without as much fear of being burned by a focused product. That includes Grasshopper titles like Lollipop Chainsaw, quality reboots dripping in suspicion like Turok, Infinite Undiscovery style off-brand jRPGs, and niche treasures like Dragon's Crown. Giving people a safer bet on those titles meant they explore far more games, finding gems they'd never know otherwise. I've always appreciated focused, unique and bold developments that don't spread themselves thin, and this was a way to open them up to more players, showing their viability.

Second, I've watched and been part of games communities which start as open discussion havens, then infest with drama, slander, mongering and elitism. Meta-community issues make titles and seniorities more important than people, with marketing and image becoming more important than the games. You've probably seen a few as well.

I wanted a community where people and their games mattered more than the toxicity they manage to draw, and where what grew of the two was discovery, sharing, and actual game play enjoyment. Challenges promoted lesser known titles and new ways to play the top draws. Tests and dailies offered points of discussion and topical exploration without the marketing standoffs. Leaderboards nudged players towards deeper play mechanics and discussing "how the hell did he do that?". Member's merits were reflected in their play, their knowledge and the words they spoke in the community, not their titles or post counts. Prizes and live events expanded on that and gave value to playing games past just enjoying their content. I wanted a positive community of substance, not a flippant nest of spite and snark.

Third, many online game communities die out quickly despite the level of quality those games bring to the table. The idea of a focused online group sparking a game's player base when it deserves a chance, not just to be dumped by the wayside in favour of the heavy hitters, was hugely appealing. Orbital Gear comes to mind.

In short, GL was to be a place that was games and people first, exploring fuller range of content, sharing player experiences, and growing the pastime into something more satisfying and robust by shaping the surrounding elements into games and explorations of their own (history, meetups, game nights, community, etc).

It's long winded, but honestly I just want people to be happy and have fun with their passions, gaming or otherwise.

There's more but that gives you a look into my crazy head and some reasons why I liked the project's direction and potential. Most all of this post is my personal view, not the overarching mission statement, as it were.

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 07:49 PM »
Can you tell us a little bit about the set-up and execution of Tsilon? I'd love to hear a bit about your relationship with Future Shop, like how it started and how it ended (generally, of course. I know these are the sorts of things you can't get in to too much detail with).

How it ended won't be discussed, sorry, but it wasn't due to performance of the project or ill will so that's a positive!

Fyre mentioned this earlier. Old World began as an idea that G and C had for a loyalty program, something far more enjoyable and rewarding than a bland points card, a place for the best gamers to congregate, vaunted for their devotion to the pastime. 

Before any of that, F and I had been building and running Fire Team Zulu, a Halo focused challenge, competition and community site. It had done well for itself too, receiving weekly callouts on Bungie's comm chatter and blog, and being regularly noted on Bungie's official Halo discussion boards. Considering it began with ODST due to Firefight, it was always amusing to see the daily and weekly challenges appear in Reach afterwards, though that'd be giving ourselves undue credit in a world with achievements and XBLA leaderboards beforehand. :V

We'd had ambitions of expanding the concept to include Mega Man and retro games, or Rock Band and music games. Given the scene with Rock Band games nearly annualized, Mega Man 9's release and the Virtual Console/PSN/XBLA, it felt like a fun future direction. We've also always had love for speed running (TAS and non-emu alike) and even performed our own at different points (loved Metroid 2002 and Speed Demos Archive, helping friends submit to them), so there were considerations of expanding into a speed running challenge site with leaderboards and unique tasks for players. Oddly, they were similar to what's now done on Twitch with speed run races.

During the lull before setting plans for expansion, we connected with G and C (G being a partner and friend prior) and they wanted what FTZ was already offering, so we got together and began discussing a vision for GL. The G-List name was either coined by C or G, while I created the Tsilon name and character.

Things were mostly in a holding pattern until the week before the CVAs in 2011, where everything suddenly snapped together and truly began with thereisnolist being built immediately before the CVAs (and I mean IMMEDIATELY), attending the CVAs, having the video feed interruption and starting the ARG campaign. This was May 2011.

The month following led to thegamertest as a secondary gateway and daily code challenges on thereisnolist rewarded with PSN/XBLA/iTunes/eShop funds as the original perks. Key sites were introduced (and conceived/built by me) weekly over the course of the following two months through summer, and finally tsilon itself being opened up in early fall/September 2011.

That's the gist of how it started.

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 07:51 PM »
Something something Bioshock? Animefreek has real fond memories of that.

That's the one.

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 08:28 PM »
Old world question - I joined shortly after the PS Vita launched - I know because one of the FS guys there told me that there was this odd FS run thing (I had mentioned Best Buy had an offer of the Uncharted game with pre-order of the PS Vita, and he said he got $50 off or something). I know when I finally got in the perks of the month were those headphones.

SO how early or late did I join in? Was just curious when I joined versus when it started.

Yeah, a timeline of Tsilon/Arc would be neat.

This is going completely from memory, so there's bound to be plenty of missing details:

Pre-May 2011: Pre-discussion, not public.
May 2011: CVAs 2011 interruption happens, thereisnolist launches, runs about 40+ days of code giveaways.
July 2011 through August 2011: Launch of bleuwizard, redosupport, yelodyne, grenaid, orajin, violetone and thegamertest (which may have been in June).
September 2011: Tsilon's testing area launches and begins rolling out quiz questions. The members area exists, but requires level 10 to access.
October (or early November?) 2011: Assassin's Creed Revelations launch party occurs, the first member meet happens, metal membership cards are given out.
November 2011: Playstation TV bundle perk is revealed, is kind of crazy and awesome (I still use mine).
December 2011: Free game perk. This timeframe is a jumble so the month might be wrong. It was after the AC:R event, before the Ghost Recon perk I think. Either way, this general timeframe is close enough.
January 2012: PS Vita perk happens (this might be wrong or mis-remembered).
February 2012: 3DS perk happens.
March 2012: Ghost Recon Future Soldier perk happens. Pretty sure the PX5/X11(X12?) headset perk was around here somewhere too.
April 2012: Starhawk perk happens. I want to say the first Area 52 member appeared around here? Might have been in May/June though. Didn't Click Magazine's GL page happen here too?
May 2012: Lollipop Chainsaw perk happens. I want to say it's around April or May when the GTAV perk happens too. This is also when the second CVA appearance happens with another video disruption happens, and is around the time a visual update of the members area happens (tile cards instead of vertical poster cards). The CVAs might have been bumped to March because of Fan Expo Vancouver's timing, can't remember. Spring, sometime. Sometime around here was the Diablo 3 launch as well, which had a GL "find the seal" thing. This was also when the infamous "SHUT DOWN THE LIST" event happened which confused everyone because the messaging didn't go as planned (the live CVA broadcast that would've explained and tied it together didn't happen... woops!).
June 2012: Was this when the Wii U perk happened? It was close to the visual update.
July 2012: Resistance: Burning Skies and Mortal Kombat tournaments happen in Vancouver and Toronto. Fun times. J hosts the Vancouver event, R hosts the Toronto event.
August 2012: J attends PAX, is in a gas mask out front, sees a few regular members, meets some new people! Connor from Assassin's Creed 3 attends Fan Expo Canada in Toronto with a GL pendant around his neck. He's sneaky, but also gives out free game codes for Assassin's Creed 3 to people who find him. Cool guy!
-September 2012: Crysis codes?
-October 2012: Assassin's Creed 3 launch event in Toronto. Good times, I think metal cards were given out at some point. They allowed use of the in game debug menu which was rad for attendees.
-November 2012: UNKNOWN.
December 2012 (I think): Halo 4 Vancouver event. That was a fun time.
January 2013: Another visual update. This might've happened in March though. DETAILS. This is also the beginning of a consistent game perk stream that lasted until the site hit the skids. Also began a weekly "win the new release!" challenge where I made poster graphics for each new game challenge. Those were fun.
February 2013: Bioshock Infinite event in Vancouver. Not the finest moment.
March/April 2013: The final new perks I believe were in this range.
May 2013: UNKNOWN.
June 2013: Official shutdown, also attendance of E3 which was supposed to be a cool thing for GL members too, but hey, them's the breaks.

That's a general timeline off the top of my head. Lots of things are off the mark, and others have been forgotten, but for the most part everything should be in the correct season or span of a couple months. That ought to give and idea for when people joined, what they experienced, what they missed, and how that 2 year span got on.

If you remember anything differently (we're too lazy to open old emails to confirm exact dates on everything), let us know and the list can be updated.
« Last Edit: March 05, 09:15 PM by Polatron »

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 09:00 PM »
Now that we mostly know the grand plan of Tsilon, what was (or supposed to be) the grand plan for Arcademy? This site was definitely less cryptic and more new user friendly than Tsilon. Also, is there anything you wish could have been done here, but was never realized?

Arcademy had a completely different intent than Old World GL. EPN is/was not a retail partner (or a partner in the same sense at all), so there's a severe lack of incentive in offering pre-order discounts or other traditional perks, even though those were a lot of fun. Instead, the purpose for Arcademy was as a play and depth community for games that would work in tandem with EPN's content and host its forum and community. EPN had TV programs and video content dealing in reviews (on the run), daily news updates in the rundown and interview/preview segments with developers, representatives and at events, content that informed viewers and showed the host's delivery/quips, but that didn't linger long enough to explore the depth of those games, those subjects, and the opinions of viewers past the twitter question of the day and Vic's Basement live chat. Arcademy was looking to focus on content depth, deeper writing on individual games, trends, hot button topics and releases, while zeroing in on community contributions for various topics, offering a complimentary content style to what EPN had on deck. There was also inklings towards swag for members, appearances of members on EPN tv in studio (those who provided a truly deep and fascinating look into a gaming topic, playing a game, or otherwise), coordinating member content streams into an Arcademy Network (hence, the URL), having the Arcademy segment every day on EP Daily to build up to live events and give members a public forum (television, video) to gain bragging rights for their accomplishments, call out their posts, and offer some fun prizes (no, not perks), hold weekly tournaments and act as a way to say "thanks for being a great community, let's do something cool".

The vast majority of concept direction on Arcademy was of our own volition and required a stupid amount of effort building and rebuilding (legal reasons different direction) before we could execute on anything as desired. This includes a full games database, community aggregate reviews system, matchmaking system, graphical spread articles and more, most of which either got sidetracked or never got a proper launch.

Long story short, Arcademy was to be more focused on content depth, community voice, live events and aggregated sourcing of content via reviews and the like. Retail gone, media/community direction in.

Numerous reasons led to it not becoming what it could've been. Blame honestly belongs to no one in this case, it just unfolded unfortunately. Where GL hit a sudden wall out of nowhere, Arcademy's fate was a gradual fade born of a legal issue and being stretched far, far, far too thin.
« Last Edit: March 05, 09:03 PM by Polatron »

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 09:07 PM »
Pretty sure I've caught up on all questions asked. If there are any more, feel free to ask. There may be more details to provide if there's questions about specific points, events or otherwise.

imbtmn

• A grade - Good
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 04:22 PM »
Tsilon was so much fun. I had pretty much stopped playing games, trying to be an adult and all - Tsilon reinvigorated my passion for games .... and destroyed the whole adult thing. I remember skipping work to finish challenges. I played all sorts of games I would not have played otherwise. The secrecy of it all is what really got me. I love that kinda shit!

Then the competition started. I had to be #1 on the list!!!! I flew through the rankings as fast as I could. Rubedizzle was the guy I was chasing. Too bad I joined so late (sometime shortly after the PS TV). When the MK meetup was announced and that the top 10 on the list would get something special, I lost my shit. I completed challenges like an animal and just made top 10 with like 1 day to spare!!! Getting my little card with the special URL was so rewarding, in the most nerdiest of ways. Rubedizzle and I got absolutely obliterated at the bar after the event ended and have been very close friends ever since.

Questions:
1: What was supposed to be the prize/reward/whatever for the top 10 G Listers?
2: What's the contact info of that sexy chick at the MK event?
3: Who was playing tsilonAI? So cool. Loved the cryptic wording and responses to everything.
4: If I had continued persisting about Duke Nukem 3D challenges, though apparently there had been one before I joined, would you have given in? haha
5: Can I trade in my Vita for a piece of lint?
« Last Edit: March 06, 04:27 PM by imbtmn »

Polatron

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 08:08 PM »
Tsilon was so much fun. I had pretty much stopped playing games, trying to be an adult and all - Tsilon reinvigorated my passion for games .... and destroyed the whole adult thing. I remember skipping work to finish challenges. I played all sorts of games I would not have played otherwise. The secrecy of it all is what really got me. I love that kinda shit!

Then the competition started. I had to be #1 on the list!!!! I flew through the rankings as fast as I could. Rubedizzle was the guy I was chasing. Too bad I joined so late (sometime shortly after the PS TV). When the MK meetup was announced and that the top 10 on the list would get something special, I lost my shit. I completed challenges like an animal and just made top 10 with like 1 day to spare!!! Getting my little card with the special URL was so rewarding, in the most nerdiest of ways. Rubedizzle and I got absolutely obliterated at the bar after the event ended and have been very close friends ever since.

Questions:
1: What was supposed to be the prize/reward/whatever for the top 10 G Listers?
2: What's the contact info of that sexy chick at the MK event?
3: Who was playing tsilonAI? So cool. Loved the cryptic wording and responses to everything.
4: If I had continued persisting about Duke Nukem 3D challenges, though apparently there had been one before I joined, would you have given in? haha
5: Can I trade in my Vita for a piece of lint?

1. If I remember correctly, that was directly associated with Area 52 and the original iteration of the vault. I'll share what Area 52 was supposed to be in another post because that was a weird thing.

2. Bzzt.

3. This depends which depiction of tsilonAI we're talking about. The tsilonAI administrator across .ca, thereisnolist, the key sites, emails, chat, online game accounts (Steam, PSN, XBL for instance) and I believe anything written was me. By and large, I created and played the character. Audio however was a friend of C's, and often written on the fly by him with on and off feedback from me. G may have written something at one point as well, he's always good when he does but I can't recall if he ever touched the character directly in that capacity. The video depiction of Tsilon was a vague conceptual representation of a visual design and description I'd made though quite different. F had access to the accounts while in Canada but only used it if I asked for his help with something.

Fun fact, Tsilon is in Shadowrun Returns, care of G. Screenshot taken by cool boy mew. I still like the Cyclops X-Men visor.

4. Probably! Later on in GL's life, we started running repeat games since the writing was on the wall, but there would've definitely been member vote/request games (we did that regardless), and throwback challenges too (also did that once). For the most part though, my mentality was that each game should receive one appearance in each section, whether challenges, leaderboards or otherwise. That didn't stick in certain cases (how much GT5 and Halo 4 did we play?), but was intended to force exploration and spreading out of releases rather than sticking to the same common favourites again and again.

5. I still like the Vita! Releases are largely niche, but it shines with the right content which DOES exist on it. :V

Worf

• A grade - Good
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 02:00 AM »
I suppose one interesting question was what were the answers to the gatekeeper to tsilon? I mean, some of those sites were easy to go through, while others I managed to find by going through all the javascript and such, but that didn't seem like the right way...

FyreWulff

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 05:05 AM »
1. After all the legal drama and the community asking for question, why go silence? The IRC chat was the only method receiving any news.

I'll make a point to comment on this - we knew people were frustrated by the silence. It was sort of a sticky situation where we wanted to update people constantly, but also didn't want to get stuck in a cycle of "soon" or "in the next 3 months".. so by inertia and other factors, we just let the site get in stasis while we built features. I even intentionally used the lower eyeballs to do public testing live without causing any trouble for ourselves (at one point we had the entire site skinned up as a prototype for another store - I don't remember seeing a peep about it on the deals threads/forums).

The assumption was that if Arc could be saved, we would just email blast everyone and give everyone new and everyone from the old world at least a couple of weeks to "get ready" to resume the game. We didn't mind that people were waiting and stopped playing, because we knew you all wanted real content, which we couldn't deliver yet.

Also, in terms of game balance we didn't want everyone to spend a bunch of time leveling up for nothing.

Worf

• A grade - Good
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 01:00 AM »
How did you guys come up with the challenges? I know a lot of the mobile ones were quite fun to do, but it was something I would never have found for myself... so how'd you come up with them?

And there's still one challenge that's costed me a lot of money over the years..

Kovaelin

• A grade - Good
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 04:40 PM »
If I remember correctly, that was directly associated with Area 52 and the original iteration of the vault. I'll share what Area 52 was supposed to be in another post because that was a weird thing.
[...]
Fun fact, Tsilon is in Shadowrun Returns, care of G. Screenshot taken by cool boy mew. I still like the Cyclops X-Men visor.
I'd almost forgotten about the mysterious vault/Area 52. I remember there was a picture of potential prizes back on the old world forums!

That Shadowrun Returns Easter egg is pretty awesome! It's like leaving a little piece of history out there.

FyreWulff

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 06:50 AM »
How did you guys come up with the challenges? I know a lot of the mobile ones were quite fun to do, but it was something I would never have found for myself... so how'd you come up with them?

Quite a few were based off our personal experiences with games we enjoyed. So take games we were decently good at, and amp up from there.

More of them were just from me being familiar with building them after doing it for about 3 years straight. You just get a familiarity and a knack for making something playable but not being absurd.

There WERE a couple that were basically insanity just to see if someone could do it (and they did).

imbtmn

• A grade - Good
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 08:01 PM »
There WERE a couple that were basically insanity just to see if someone could do it (and they did).

I'd love for you to expand on this!

FyreWulff

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 09:38 AM »

got real busy there, but i promise i'll come back to this one

imbtmn

• A grade - Good
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 09:03 PM »
got real busy there, but i promise i'll come back to this one

I'm still going to hold you to this 8)

FyreWulff

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 10:47 AM »
:V  will be on it after I get through an upcoming clusterflock of work stuff.

FyreWulff

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 09:22 PM »

Okay, so now that I actually have more than 4 hours off work!

J and I definitely have a different swath of games we're familiar and good at with some intersecting here and there, but not much. We'd cross-consult each other on some challenges for this reason.

So, I'd test a challenge he was working on. I'd go far far as I could push it - even past it, but since we wanted to see some sweat, I'd do silly stuff like arbitrarily just lop an half hour off the max time, or require a little more perfection, but it still had to be possible. I'd cross reference speedrunners talking about the game, videos, and others if I didn't know the game personally. For certain games, I'm a dork and have either dissected them or pulled them apart, so I knew how much I could be an asshole and push the challenge up.

One crazy one in the tsilon days (so i don't have deets off hand) was that I went and consulted the WR leaderboard for a game, and made the challenge one second faster. The idea was that if someone actually beat that challenge, I could go "here's a prize.. oh and by the way you're now the world record holder" as a surprise (it wasn't a popular game). nobody completed it but it was worth a try.

Another one was one where I was watching the various communities. I wanted everyone to work together (glist forums, RFD, etc etc) to kind of chill everyone out on "that site is the badguys", so I camped the threads at RFD/tsilon/twitter/gaf/anyone else that had a thread and glist in google results, picked 'champions' from each secretly that were good at a particular game, and then made challenges one week that would be completed fast by one person at each site, to encourage strategies to be shared across. It didn't work that great but seeing certain people go "wtf we were just talking about that" wasa hilarious.

Also, AS FAR AS I KNOW, only J and I checked challenges for most of the run. J did it manually via gmail early on, but the automated system I built was used later. Yes, we looked at the images you uploaded. I got to the point where i could recognize certain submissions just by recognizing someone's TV, or living room, or hand + note they made and reused. I did not store those submissions though so they're all gone from our end once the challenge was approved. A couple of times I made challenges based off what I saw in living rooms from submissions as a "huh, we haven't done that game somehow? lemme research it a bit and put that up.."

Since I was the Rock Band nut I also made all the RB challenges hard as hell. I also had a few awkward moments when streaming as Mister F where my actual screenname showed up on Blitz's in-game leaderboard and I paniced for a moment thinking I signed in with the wrong account :V

It was also cool to listen to all of you for game night / challenges where we were all playing Halo 4 or something like that. I wrote down the key remarks and talked with J about them, which influenced some things happening and other misc changes to challenges. Also, one time I accidentally started broadcasting my voice on Halo 4 night. Everyone in the lobby thought it was another player :V :V :V

Takao

• A grade - Good
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 02:27 AM »
I take it some automatic back end update broke the elaborate forum skin?

Worf

• A grade - Good
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 01:44 AM »
Probably something to do with the anti-spam measures implemented...

FyreWulff

• Administrator
  • A grade - Good
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 09:37 AM »
The spam management stuff was only ever made for the default SMF skin. We never ported it to our custom skin, and due to some changes made, I have to switch everyone over to the default theme while doing it, but it takes a while to do the switch, so it's at default for long because of my second job consuming a lot of energy and time. 

Also, the spammers are getting really bad, so you're starting to see it more and more. Trying to figure out a good way to stop them.

Worf

• A grade - Good
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 01:28 AM »
Add a fake captcha is a popular one...  where the bots see a field for a captcha and a image to process. But the actual question is more like "What does PS4 stand for" or "What is the proper name for the console lovingly called the xbone?". Simple questions people get, but automated spam bots think it's a spot for a captcha and try to "solve" it

AaronJew

• A grade - Good
Arcademy is ceasing operations Open Q
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 04:22 PM »
May be going up to visit some family around Rockford some time in the near future. I see there are a whole bunch of lines coming into and out of the city. Would anyone be willing to provide a list of operations in the area? Thanks